The Z Group is committed to protecting our customers' personal information.
'Personal information' is information about an identifiable individual (a natural person) which is in a form which enables that person to be identified.
This page was last updated on: 30 July 2019.
1. What information does the Z Group collect, and when?
2. How does the Z Group use your information?
3. Sharing your information.
4. Storage and protection of your personal information.
5. Accessing your personal information.
6. The Caltex-App
7. Internet use and cookies.
1. What personal information does the Z Group collect, and when?
We collect information relating to you that you have provided to us (for example, on an application or registration form, or through the way you use our products and services) or that we may have obtained from another source with your consent (such as a loyalty partner or a credit agency where you have authorised us to conduct a credit check).
This information may include your name, address, telephone numbers, payment details or other financial information, information on how you use our products and services, membership of loyalty programmes and any other information collected in relation to your use of our products and services.
If you have applied for Z Business Partner and quote your membership or relationship with another organisation that we have an agreement with (a Z Business Promoter) then we may collect information about you and people who hold a Z Business fuel card linked to your account (Cardholders) from that Z Business Promoter and share information with them about you and your Cardholders.
We collect personal information about you when:
• it is necessary to provide goods or services you have requested
• it is necessary as part of a loyalty programme (run by us or one of our loyalty partners) that you have joined
• you have expressly consented to us collecting that information, for example when you apply for an account with us, enter a competition or promotion run by us or interact with us on social media
• it is necessary to protect or enforce our legal rights or interests, or to defend any claims made against us by any person (including you) or
• it is required by law.
We also use CCTV cameras to record footage at our retail sites and truck stops. This footage may constitute ‘personal information’ as defined in the Privacy Act.
2. How does the Z Group use your information?
The information that we collect from you may be used by us for a number of purposes connected with our business such as:
• processing your orders or applications
• giving effect to any loyalty schemes that you participate in (whether run by us or one of our loyalty partners)
• carrying out credit checking and scoring
• providing you with products and/or services you have requested, or administering your account
• billing you (unless you pay by another agreed method) and collecting any debt owed to us by you
• dealing with your requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities
• verifying your identity and assisting you in case you forget your password or login details where these are necessary to access any of our products or services
• carrying out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime, or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution
• to improve and refine our products and services
• to interact and communicate with you on social media
• to identify and inform you about products, services, promotion and offers most likely to be of interest to you, or any other communications that you have opted in to receive; and
• general administrative and business purposes
We will also use information in an anonymised aggregated form, to carry out analysis of our products, services and customer interactions (including how our website and the Caltex App are used).
Where we are using your information to communicate with you by email or text about products, services and promotions that we think may be of interest to you, you can choose to stop receiving such emails or texts by using the unsubscribe function in the message. You can also email email@example.com or call 0800 733 835 to be removed from the database.
In addition, CCTV footage specifically may be used for the following purposes:
• detecting and deterring criminal behaviour on our sites
• detecting and deterring suspicious, inappropriate or unauthorised use of a Z Business Card or other card and
• monitoring the safety and security of our staff, our customers and our sites, and completing incident investigations.
3. Sharing your information
We respect the privacy of your personal information and we will take all reasonable steps to keep it confidential. However, there may be times when we need to disclose your personal information to third parties. If we do this, we will only disclose your information to:
• members of the Z Group who may use and disclose your information for the same purposes as us
• those who provide us products or services that support the services that we provide, such as our dealers and suppliers
• loyalty partners where you are a member of that programme and have chosen to link it with your use of your Z Business Plus account or the Caltex App
• credit reference agencies (unless we have agreed otherwise), who may share your information with other organisations and who may keep a record of the searches we make against your name
• anyone who assists us in monitoring the safety and security of our staff and our sites, and completing incident investigations
• anyone who assists us in protecting the operation of the Z Group’s networks and systems, including the use of monitoring and detection in order to identify potential threats, such as hacking and virus dissemination, and other security vulnerabilities
• anyone who hosts or maintains data centres, service platforms, and other infrastructure and systems where your information is processed on behalf of us
• social media sites on which we have a presence
• Z Business Promotors, as set out in section 1
• persons to whom we may be required to pass your information by reason of legal, governmental or regulatory authority including law enforcement agencies and emergency services
• any person whose account with us includes Z Business Plus and who and provides you with a card to use (for example, your employer)
• any person or organisation as authorised by the Privacy Act 1993
• our third party business partners including loyalty partners, marketing and advertising companies, data processing companies and data analysis companies to conduct sales, marketing and advertising research and analysis on our behalf so that we can: better understand your preferences; carry out business improvement analysis; and present you with suitable offers that you might be interested in (we contractually obligate these third parties to protect the confidentiality of customer survey information).
In every case your personal information will be disclosed only to the extent necessary for the relevant purpose.
Otherwise, we will disclose your personal information without your consent only if doing so is:
• necessary to protect or enforce our legal rights or interests, or to defend any claims made against us by any person (including you)
• necessary to lessen a serious threat to a person's health or safety, or
• required by law.
Under no circumstances will we sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
4. Storage and protection of your personal information
We may record and store personal information which we collect from you and where we do so we will take all reasonable steps:
• to keep your personal information secure and prevent unauthorised disclosure, and
• to keep your personal information accurate and up to date.
However, we do not promise that your personal information cannot be accessed by an unauthorised person (for example, a hacker) or that unauthorised disclosures will not occur.
We may store and process your personal information using services provided by a third party provider (including providers outside New Zealand) and so your personal information may be held outside New Zealand.
If we provide you with any passwords or other security devices it is important that you keep these secret and confidential and do not allow them to be used by any other person. You should notify us immediately if the security of these devices is breached to prevent the unauthorised disclosure of your personal information.
CCTV footage will usually be retained for a period of 30 days, after which time it will usually be deleted.
5. Accessing and correcting your personal information
At any time you may request us to provide you with a copy of any of your personal information we have stored and/or recorded by contacting us. We will provide you with the information as soon as possible but in any event within 14 days unless we have legal grounds to deny your request.
In some cases, there may be a charge associated with providing copies of your personal information to you. If so, we will advise you of this prior to sending your information to you.
If you are able to establish that any of your personal information which has been stored and/or recorded by us is not accurate, complete or up to date, then you should notify us and we will take all reasonable steps to correct the information so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
6. Caltex App
We collect personal information you provide directly to us when you create or modify your Caltex App account and use the services provided on the Caltex App (Caltex App Services).
When you use the Caltex App, we also collect the following information about you:
• Location information: when you use services within the Caltex App such as Pre-order Coffee and Find a Z Station, we collect information about your geographic location and exact positioning. Without this location data we cannot provide these services to you.
If you permit the Caltex App to access location services through the permission system used by your mobile operating system, we may also collect the precise location of your device when the Z App is running in the foreground or background. We may also derive your approximate location from your IP address.
• Transaction information: we collect information about any transactions that you use the Caltex App for, such as the type and value of service requested, and date and time.
• Usage and preference information: we collect information about the way you use the Caltex App.
• Device information: we may collect information about your mobile device, including, for example, the IP address of your device, the hardware model, operating system and version, software and file names, who your mobile network operator is and other mobile network information.
• Contact information: if you use a Caltex App for a service that requires or permits us to contact you through means other than the Caltex App (e.g. to issue a receipt), we collect the email address and other contact details (if applicable) that you provide.
• Aggregated and anonymised data. most mobile platforms allow you to control whether apps can access some types of device data. The operating system used by your mobile device will notify you of the permissions the Caltex App seeks before it accesses certain types of device data.
We may also collect personal information from other sources and combine that information with personal information we collect through the Caltex App Services, for example from payment providers that process payments through the App, or if you engage with a separate app or website that uses our API (or whose API we use), we may receive information about you or your connections from that website or app.
Use of personal information
Personal information collected through your use of the Caltex App may be used as set out in Section 2 above, and also for these purposes more specifically related to the Caltex App:
• to verify your identity and to conduct address verification or credit checks for invoicing and billing purposes;
• to provide you with any products or services that you have purchased through the Caltex App;
• to improve your experience while using the Caltex App and search ability, including tailoring the Caltex App and related services to meet your needs and for the purposes of fixing any issues with the Caltex App;
• to facilitate the payment for products and services purchased by you through the Caltex App;
• to help us identify offers available to you, tell you about these offers and provide such offers whether through the Caltex App or other channels;
• to use analytics tools to analyse how you use the App.
Depending on your mobile device, you may be able to turn off push notifications through your mobile
Disclosure of information
Personal information collected through the Caltex App may be disclosed as set out in Section 3 above, and also to any third party service provider whose software and services are used in connection with the Caltex App (see below for further detail about third party software).
The Caltex App uses various third party software components and services, including software and applications installed on your mobile device or used by your mobile device’s native operating system (“Third Party Software”) to provide the Caltex App Services to you.
By using the Caltex App, you agree to:
1. Z’s use of such Third Party Software through the Caltex App;
2. disclosure of your personal information to and collection of your personal information by the relevant third parties; and
3. applicable Third Party Privacy Policies.
Retention and deletion of personal information
The deletion of the Caltex App from your device does not delete or erase the personal information or data we hold about you. If you would like to request personal information or data collected through the Caltex App about you to be permanently deleted please contact the Privacy Officer at Z.
7. Internet use and cookies
We make every effort to maintain the security of our Internet connections; but for reasons outside of our control, security risks may still arise. Any personal information transmitted to us online will therefore be at your own risk; however, we will use our best efforts to ensure that any such information remains secure.
A cookie is a piece of programming which enables us to customise services on our website to help with navigation, monitor usage and to help personalise your experience. For example, a cookie can be used to store registration information so that you do not need to re-enter that information on a subsequent visit to the site. We may send cookies to your computer while you are accessing our website(s). We do not use them to collect any personal information about you, although we may collect non-attributed (anonymous) information regarding your use of this site. Some web browsers enable you to decline the receipt of cookies. If you utilise this function you will still be able to access this website albeit without some enhancement features.
Tracking and advertising
• the server your computer is logged onto
• your browser type
• the date and time of your visit and
• the performance of our marketing efforts.
When you access any of our websites after viewing one of these advertisements, we or one of our partners will collect information on how you utilise those websites, such as which webpages you view.
In addition, we also use analytics tools to collect information on how you utilise our website(s), by using cookies to collect information similar to that listed above.
One of the main analytics tools what we currently use is Google Analytics, which uses this information to perform statistical analysis of aggregate user behaviour, but this analysis is not based on personal information. We use this analysis to measure advertising effectiveness and relative consumer interest in the various areas of our website(s) and to present relevant advertising on our website(s) or third party websites where we advertise. We may disclose the information collected by Google Analytics, in an aggregate (not personal) form only, to third parties including advertisers or potential advertisers.
For more information about Google Analytics see the below links:
Google Analytics opt out
Google Analytics website