This page was last updated on 25 January 2022
In this policy, Caltex Group means Z Energy 2015 Limited and its subsidiaries, as those terms are used in the Companies Act 1993.
What is ‘personal information’?
Changes we can make to this policy
Other important terms you should know about
What we collect
We collect personal information about you when:
- you enter or upload information in the Caltex App
- you enter or upload information in the Caltex website
- you provide us information over the phone or email (for example, when you contact our call centre)
- you provide us information through other channels (for example, through social media)
- you enter our physical sites, through our use of CCTV cameras.
Sometimes, we may collect personal information about you from a third party source that you have authorised (such as a loyalty partner, a credit agency where you have authorised us to conduct a credit check) or as otherwise permitted by law.
We may collect information about you from a Z Business promoter, where you have applied for Z Business through that promoter or have applied through Z’s channels, and have quoted your membership number or relationship with that promoter.
Personal information we collect may include your name, address, telephone numbers, payment details or other financial information, information on how you use our products and services, and information about your membership of loyalty programmes. If you use the Caltex App, your personal information may include your location data and device information.
Closed Circuit Television (CCTV)
What happens if you do not provide personal information
If you do not provide us with personal information that we request, you may not be able to enjoy some or all of Z’s services.
Why we collect it, and what we use it for
We collect and use your personal information for various purposes:
- to provide you goods and services
- to improve and refine our products and services
- to set up and administer your Z Business account and Caltex App account.
- to set up and administer any loyalty programme (run by us or one of our loyalty partners) that you have joined or wish to join.
- to feed into other services that have integrated with Caltex Group (for example, Xero).
- interacting and communicating with you on social media, dealing with your requests, enquiries or complaints and other customer care related activities.
- to assist with resolution of technical support issues or other issues relating to our technology, including the website and Caltex App.
- to carry out credit checking and scoring.
- billing you (unless you pay by another agreed method) and collecting any debt owed to us by you.
- to verify your identity and assist you in case you forget your password or login details where these are necessary to access any of our products or services.
- to carry out any activity in connection with a legal, governmental or regulatory requirement on us, or in connection with legal proceedings, crime, or fraud prevention, detection or prosecution.
- to target our advertising, and to identify and inform you about products, services, surveys, promotion and offers most likely to be of interest to you, or any other communications that you have opted in to receive.
- for internal research, development and optimization of the Caltex website, products and services, and to develop our understanding of our customers’ preferences and interests.
- to comply with New Zealand laws and any applicable overseas laws.
- to contact you and support you if we think you have had an unpleasant experience with a Caltex product or service, or if we think Caltex has not met your expectations.
- general administrative and business purposes.
We use information collected through our CCTV cameras for several reasons:
- detecting, deterring, and preventing criminal or offensive behaviour at our sites (including detecting, deterring, and preventing suspicious, inappropriate or unauthorised use of a Z Business fuel card or other card)
- monitoring the safety and security of our staff, our customers and our sites
- completing incident investigations
We may also use personal information in an anonymised aggregated form, to carry out analysis of our products, services and customer interactions (including how our website and the Caltex App are used).
Promotions and offers
Where we use your information to communicate with you by email or text about products, services and promotions that we think may be of interest to you, you can choose to stop receiving such emails or texts by using the unsubscribe function in the message. You can also send us a message or call 0800 733 835 to be removed from the database.
Sharing your personal information
We may provide your personal information to:
- our parent company and other related companies, whether incorporated in New Zealand or elsewhere
- our employees, contractors, advisors, agents, and third party service providers.
- our loyalty partners (Air New Zealand and Loyalty New Zealand) where you are a member of that programme and have chosen to link it with your use of Caltex services.
- credit reference agencies (unless we have agreed otherwise), who may share your information with other organisations and who may keep a record of the searches we make against your name.
- Z Business account holders, where you use or control business card connected to their account (for example, your employer), and Z Business promoters.
- if you load your SuperGold card to the Caltex App, the Ministry of Social Development to verify your eligibility for our SuperGold offer
- our third party business partners including, marketing and advertising companies, data processing companies and data analysis companies to conduct sales, marketing and advertising research and analysis on our behalf so that we can better understand your preferences, carry out business improvement analysis, and present you with suitable offers that you might be interested in (we contractually obligate these third parties to protect the confidentiality of customer survey information). Under no circumstances will we sell or receive payment for licensing or disclosing your personal information.
We may release personal information where we think this is appropriate for legal compliance and law enforcement (including to government agencies with statutory law enforcement responsibilities), to facilitate court proceedings, enforce or apply our Z Business terms, Caltex App terms, Caltex website terms, or other terms that apply between you and us, or to protect our company, our customers, or others.
If we suspect you have committed offensive behaviour towards a site or office or to any of our people, we may disclose your information to your employer or supervisor (including CCTV footage or images or audio recordings).
We may provide your information to insurers (including CCTV footage), in order to facilitate insurance claims in respect of Z or others.
We can also release personal information to third parties as instructed by you, and in other ways permitted by the Privacy Act.
Vehicle number plates
Our CCTV cameras collect all vehicle number plate information that comes through our forecourts. We provide this information to the New Zealand police, who cross-check it against their register for stolen vehicles.
Third party software used in the Caltex App
When will we share your personal information?
We will only share your personal information where we believe this is appropriate to help us with any of the purposes outlined above. We will take reasonable steps to ensure that those recipients do not use that personal information for any other purpose.
How we store your personal information
Storage of CCTV footage
We usually retain CCTV footage for a period of 30 days. We may retain CCTV footage for longer if required by law, or if we think doing so is appropriate to help us with any of the purposes outlined above.
Right to access your personal information
Closing your Caltex App account and deleting your data
You can request to close your account via the Caltex App at any time. You can do so by following the process in the Caltex App to close your account, or alternatively by contacting us.
We will delete your data once we no longer need it for any purpose for which it may lawfully be used. After you close your account, deletion of your data generally occurs within a 6-12 month timeframe. Alternatively, if you would like to request earlier deletion of your data, you may do so at any time by contacting us.
Where you provide us information about others
You must take reasonable steps to ensure the relevant individual is aware of, and agrees to the matters set out in this policy, including the fact their information is being collected, the purposes for which that information is being collected, the intended recipients of their information, their rights to access their information, and our name and contact details.
We use these tools to serve you better and more efficiently, customise services on our website to help with navigation, monitor usage and to help personalise your experience, and sometimes to help identify you for security reasons. We also use these tools in the delivery of our or our partner’s online advertising. Any information we collect and share with third parties through cookies is aggregated and anonymised.
Some web browsers enable you to decline the receipt of cookies and similar technologies. If you utilise this function you may not be able to make full use of the Caltex Group’s websites.
To improve our Caltex website, App, and our advertising, we use analytics tools (including third party cookies) to collect certain information. Information we collect through analytics tools may include your IP address, page requests, form requests, click activity, and the timing and frequency of your use of our websites and App.
Where you can find further information
You can find further information about your privacy rights on website of the Office of the Privacy Commissioner.